Obrestad Lighthouse - Venue of LA1J lighthouse operations 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2012 and 2014
The lighthouse was built in 1873. Later the lighthouse master's residence was built in 1905, his assistant's house in 1949-50, and a family home built in 1969. The lighthouse is more or less as it was when it was abandoned in 1991.
On his last working day lighthouse keeper Rolf Kristensen left the waste oil behind, and his saw and screwdriver hanging in their usual place. The lighthouse was now automated, and manpower was no longer needed. Yet everything looks as if the keeper will return at any minute.
lighthouse is situated in a historic landscape that has
witnessed exciting events in Norway's shipping and agricultural
history. Today there is a lighthouse museum with exhibitions
documenting the day-to-day life in the lighthouse, at Obrestad
farm, and the life of soldiers during World War II.
Location: Hå Municipality Rogaland
Automated and unmanned in
Owner: Hå kommune
Protected according to the
Cultural Heritage Act 1998
Every day in July and each Sunday from 1.March and throughout the year.
Photo: Riksantikvaren - Directorate for Cultural Heritage
The Obrestad lighthouse was built in granite in 1873.
Photo: Torstein Olsen - Norwegian Coastal Administration